Europe marches in support of Palestina

admin
8 Min Read
  • Elsewhere around Europe, people have also been marching in support of Palestinians.Riot police in Paris have used water cannon and tear gas to try to disperse thousands of demonstrators protesting in defiance of coronavirus restrictions.The march had been banned by police and at the request of Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin, with authorities saying they wanted to avoid a flare-up of violence.Hundreds more people also took to the streets in authorised protests in other cities, including Lyon and Marseille, which took place peacefully.In Madrid, a few thousand people rallied in the city center while in Berlin, protesters threw bottles and stones at police. Coronavirus restrictions were broken, prompting officers to break up one of the protests.Protesters march on al-Nakba Day to demonstrate for the rights of Palestinians on 15 May 2021 in Berlin, Germany Protesters were out in the German capital tooI Protester unfurl a giant Palestinian flag on the statue of Carlos III in Plaza del Sol at the demonstration in Madrid, Spain, on May 15, 2021A protester unfurls a giant Palestinian flag on the Plaza del Sol in MadridImage
  • Rubble of destroyed tower block in Gaza Rubble from the collapsed building blocked a main road through Gaza
  • The landlord of the tower block destroyed by an Israel air strike on Saturday has denied there was any military presence in the building, the BBC’s Rushdi Abualouf reports from Gaza.An earlier Israeli statement said the tower had been housing “military assets” belonging to the intelligence offices of Hamas – the militant Islamist group that runs the Gaza Strip.But the landlord told reporters that the building had only contained the offices of media organisations and other businesses as well as about 60 residential apartments.The tower was the biggest building in Gaza destroyed by Israel so far, our correspondent adds. Al Jazeera and the Associated Press both had offices in the building, which was evacuated before it was destroyed.Article share tools
  • White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki has just tweeted: “We have communicated directly to the Israelis that ensuring the safety and security of journalists and independent media is a paramount responsibility.”Occupants of the building in Gaza, which housed offices of foreign media outlets, were given a warning by the Israeli military to evacuate the tower, and there are no reports of casualties.Article share tools
  • Shocked and horrified
  • The tower in Gaza destroyed by the Israeli air strike also housed the offices of the Associated Press (AP) news agency. Here’s a statement from its president and CEO, Gary Pruitt:Quote Message: We are shocked and horrified that the Israeli military would target and destroy the building housing AP’s bureau and other news organizations in Gaza. They have long known the location of our bureau and knew journalists were there. We received a warning that the building would be hit.We are shocked and horrified that the Israeli military would target and destroy the building housing AP’s bureau and other news organizations in Gaza. They have long known the location of our bureau and knew journalists were there. We received a warning that the building would be hit.Quote Message: We are seeking information from the Israeli government and are engaged with the US State Department to try to learn more.We are seeking information from the Israeli government and are engaged with the US State Department to try to learn more.Quote Message: This is an incredibly disturbing development. We narrowly avoided a terrible loss of life. A dozen AP journalists and freelancers were inside the building and thankfully we were able to evacuate them in time.This is an incredibly disturbing development. We narrowly avoided a terrible loss of life. A dozen AP journalists and freelancers were inside the building and thankfully we were able to evacuate them in time.Quote Message: The world will know less about what is happening in Gaza because of what happened today.The world will know less about what is happening in Gaza because of what happened today.Before the building was hit, AP’s Gaza correspondent Fares Akram tweeted about the impending bombing: “And now bombs could fall on our office. We ran down the stairs from the 11th floor and now looking at the building from afar, praying Israeli army would eventually retract.”Article share tools
  • Thousands march through London in support of PalestiniansProtest in LondonProtesters marched towards the Israeli embassy in Kensington
  • From the outset it’s been clear how high passions are running amongst the thousands who have turned out in central London.A river of protesters flowed along Hyde Park towards the Israeli embassy in Kensington. Every once in a while a red or green smoke flare was set off, met with cheers and waving Palestinian flags which match the colours.Their planned destination was in fact sealed off down a private road, but that didn’t stop people chanting “Free Palestine” and a minority climbed scaffolding on Kensington High Street.They essentially want Israel to stop air strikes and for the UK government to step in. But as US negotiators call on both sides to calm the situation – few here think it will be resolved any time soon.Pro-Palestinian protest in LondonProtesters chanted “Free Palestine”
  • Everything, in two seconds, just vanished
  • The Jala Tower after the Israeli air strike that led to its collapse.
  • The strike on the building housing media offices in Gaza City came on Saturday afternoon, after the owner received a call from the Israeli military warning that the building was about to be hit.Jawad Mehdi, the owner of the Jala Tower, said an Israeli intelligence officer warned him he had just one hour to ensure the evacuation of the building, the AFP news agency reports.In a phone call with the officer, AFP heard him beg for an extra 10 minutes to allow journalists to retrieve their equipment before leaving. “Give us 10 extra minutes,” he urged, but the officer on the other end of the line refused.Al-Jazeera, the news network funded by Qatar’s government, broadcast the air strikes live as the building collapsed.”This channel will not be silenced. Al Jazeera will not be silenced,” Al Jazeera English presenter Halla Mohieddeen said with emotion. “We can guarantee you that right now.”Al Jazeera correspondent Safwat al-Kahlout, who had been working out of these offices in Gaza City for 11 years, said: “I’ve been covering many events from this building, we’ve lived personal professional experiences; now everything, in two seconds, just vanished”.
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *